We've had this sort of discussion before. It's not particularly to do with using Mac or Windows, or any other operating system; it's to do with how your software is configured to read the character, ie what language your word processor, email reader or web browser is set up to read. Just because you can insert a character into *your* system doesn't necessarily mean that another system will read it as the same character, or even show it at all.

Have a look at:
http://www.smi.uib.no/ksv/char.html
It's all explained in far more detail than most of us will ever need to know!

Brenda