Hello Tamara

At the top right hand side next to the clock there's a flag

No clock, no flag on my screen. Just the sign for sound, then date ("Sun 21:30" it says at the moment), then Tamara Duvall... So, I wouldn't know where to find Unicode any more than I'd know how to find a (live) unicorn :)

Tess's reference does have a nice chart of all (I suppose <g>) diacriticals in Spanish, French and German, but no Polish (and no GBP or Euro). Google offered hundreds of possibilities but the most promising ones were waaaaay above my 'puter-illiterate head... Oh well... :) I'll stick with with the gain of the umlaut -- thanks Tess! -- and forget about the rest until someone comes up with a simplified method of modifying letters irrespective of the language...

Click on the  apple at top left to open System Preferences
(Show all) - International
click the 'input menu' tab
Make sure that both character palette and British/American boxes are ticked (I can't get one without the other). If you scroll further down there are options for all sorts of other languages including Polish. If you tick that too you'll get the option of using Polish characters direct from the keyboard but I don't know where you'd find them on the keyboard! Once you've enabled any language it's easy to toggle back and forth by clicking on the flag which should then be on the top right of your screen.

Brenda
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/