On 1 May 2006, at 07:29, Barry & Joyce Moes wrote:

<Twilling is the blending of several strands of 90 Floss in colors to achieve the color desired. It is the same technique she uses in her butterflies.>

I have some YLI 50 which is 36 wraps/cm according to Brenda's book. I will impatiently try this as the Pipers Silk Floss 90 is rated at 37 wraps per cm.

I don't think you'll be successful using YLI silk 50 as it's a 3 ply spun silk thread, intended for machine sewing but a bit finer than most machine threads. Pipers silk floss is 1-ply reeled silk with very little twist on the filaments - intended for satin stitch and similar surface embroidery where the thread spreads out to cover the surface of the fabric - and it's that quality/characteristic which makes it suitable for the 'twilling' technique described.

I don't know of any similar thickness substitutes - Kami-ito flat silk floss and Mulberry Silks floss are both of similar construction but a bit thicker.

Brenda
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/