I would think that this kind of illumination device (or whatever you might call it) could have many uses in those days. I have a replica of a lacemakers light and found the concept amazing :-) Of course it works, or they would have found something better, but I was just amazed when I used it. It gave me a huge appreciation of the lacemakers of the time, their poor eyes.

I am back after a week away at a living history weekend and also visiting my Mum with the family history file I am making up. I have raided all her photos, so have lots of scanning to do. My great grandma did hat work to make ends meet after her husband drank the profits from her public house she owned at the time, their home town used to be very important in the hat trade for many years. They have a lot of lovely old bedfordshire lace (as well as other types) drawers full of fabulous old bobbins. We took Mum to see them last year. Well I thought I would come in and say hello to Daphne, but I have to get back to the unpacking and washing. My poor machine will be tired by the end of the weekend:-) I only got chance to do my lace for one afternoon in the whole week and was just too tired to even take it out of the caravan last night never mind consider working any, but will get back into it over the next days, that is my normal evening activity while the television is on.
Hello to all and hope your lacing is coming on well.
Sue T, back home in Dorset UK, the sun is shining and the wind is warm for the second day, summer is here until the weekend <G>

There's something nice to see on eBay right now... It's the working part of a "lacemaker's lamp"... but the amazing thing is that this is the real thing, and the seller never even calls it a "lacemaker's lamp" (because it isn't...)

Thought some of you would enjoy looking, and maybe even buying. I wonder what it will fetch?

http://tinyurl.com/rx7tb Clay