On May 5, 2006, at 10:46, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

There is a review in the New York Times of the new Costume show at the
Metropolitan Museum, Anglomania, situated in the English period galleries.
_http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/05/arts/design/05angl.html_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/05/arts/design/05angl.html) It claims that there is some lace on the garments, which actually look quite wonderful. However, disturbingly it also
invokes the spirit of Beau Brummel who  it claims, "codified dandyism's
impeccable understatement, replacing lace, embroidery, wigs and knee breeches with (clean) white linen, short hair, plain, exquisitely tailored jackets and,
above all, trousers."

I am not certain whether this is the kind of exhibit the lace community can
support ;-)

He's also the "father" of the idea that dark colours (especially black) are the only suitable ones for menswear. Which would have been a splendid background to lace, sigh...

I've always suspected that his dislike of embellishment stemmed more from not being able to afford it in his youth, than from true conviction; "the grapes are green anyway, said the fox" kind of thing.
--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/