I have met lacemakers in many places around the world, usually arranged in
advance.  One time I was in Venice and taking a ferry across the lagoon to a
reception with DH.  I was wearing a spangled bobbin necklace and a lady spotted
it and started a conversation with me.  She was English but lived in Sweden and
she was headed to the same reception with her hubby.  We spent a nice evening
together talking lace whilst the husbands discussed business, and looking at
the lace book I had bought before catching the ferry.

  The next day I was visiting the lace school on Burano, wearing the same
necklace and this time a lacemaker from the Netherlands and I had a very
interesting conversation whilst we looked at the lace exhibits.  So I guess the
moral of this message is to wear something recognisable to  another lacemaker.
  Janice

Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA
http://www.lacemakersofillinois.org/