--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  Does the precise
> number of pinholes make a lot of difference. ...
> Perhaps the end use of the lace .... governed
whether it was a short repeat or a more ornate
> pattern.

I'm going to make a wild guess on this.  The
traditional end use of this lace was on a bonnet.  A
certain length would be needed for a given bonnet
style or size.  The lace was usually mounted so each
side was symetrical.  The number of lines per repeat
would help figure out just where in the pattern to
start so mid point of the pattern would also be the
mid point of the finished length of lace.

I repeat -- this is a guess, not confirmed.  It comes
from making 's-Grav. lace for a dutch bonnet.

Another guess also relates to the end use.  A shorter
piece of lace would look better with a shorter pattern
repeat while a long piece could use a long repeat.
The pattern I made was 10 inches per repeat.  I made
three repeats to get the 30 inches I needed.  The next
piece is 36 inches, and I had to do some real figuring
to find the correct starting point since the second
pattern did not fit neatly into the desired length.

Happy lacing,
Alice in Oregon