In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
>An interesting observation!  I don't have that publication, but I have noticed
>the same effect in other books and magazines.  Try this:  turn the picture
>upside down.   Now does it look right?

> ---- Andrea Lamble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> as you continue looking at it, slightly
>changing your focal length it looks like it has been 'quilted' on to some
>white fabric. All very intriguing.

Likewise I don't see the magazine, but I don't think it is that the
image is upside down, Clay - I got the same quilted effect scanning my
asymmetric square mat (see the current Canadian Lacemaker Gazette) so
that I could forward the scan to Bev - it was basically down to the
shadows created by the lace against the fabric (or in my case, paper)
used as the background.
--
Jane Partridge