In a message dated 6/30/06 3:59:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> > Antique MARVEL HAND EMBROIDERER Embroidery Sewing Tool
> > *** Item number: 290002437572
> >
> > Even from the pictures, I'm not sure how it worked to
> > embroider something.  It looks more like a punching
> > device for rugs.
>
> Initially I thought it was just part of a sewing machine, but on closer
> inspection (as close as the photo will allow) I think it's a hand
> controlled chain stitch device and would work in the same way as a
> chain stitch machine - and initially based on hand tambouring
> techniques. The photo isn't detailed enough but the needle is probably
> a fine hook rather than an eyed needle.
>
> http://www.chholderby.com/Embroidery/chenille.htm
> for diagrams of how (the machines) work.
>
> Brenda

Thank you Alice and Brenda!

We all need to remember that when what we call sewing machines were first
invented, much emphasis was placed on the features for embroidery and lace
techniques, because these were the most labor-intensive aspects of making
household
linens and garments for women and children.  It is possible to buy reprints of
the early instruction booklets that came with machines.

As for chenille embroidery - it resembles needle/crochet hook techniques that
have been used in many countries for centuries.  The Yusai Fukuyama "Tambour
Work" book would come first to mind.  The book shows chain stitch embroidery
(using a tambour hook) on closely-woven fabrics as well as on nets
(Limerick-type laces) and also the way beads were sewn quickly onto fabrics.

And then, there is the exquisite tamboured Liers lace that some have studied
(or will study in Montreal), taught so ably by Greet Rome-Verbeylen.  Hard to
believe it could be done by machine, but some clever inventors have come
close.

The roots of the very versatile chain stitch go back thousands of years to
China, and eventually the technique worked its way across Asia to Europe.  That
sewing machines would be adapted for this chenille method of embellishment
does not surprise, nor does the fact that heavy machinery has been developed to
make items as heavy as hooked floor rugs.

There is a chapter on tambour beading in (Arachne member) Angela Thompson's
"Embroidery with Beads", Batsford, 0-7134-5495-4, 1987.  Even earlier, 1979 and
1980, Angela wrote two books on Machine Embroidery.  Knowing how thorough she
is, she probably wrote about the variety of machines and what they could do.
Unfortunately, I do not have the two books and cannot verify for you whether
she included chenille.

Very often, I have seen vendors selling Russian punch needle supplies at
quilt shows.  They work on a similar principle.  Seems odd until you realize
that
quilters use this technique to embellish their modern Victorian Crazy Quilts.
There is also an international group that does Bunka Shishu (Japanese Punch
Embroidery).  Certainly, this must have been mechanized and used in the
manufacture of fabulous fabrics, especially those of Japanese origin.

There are many other applications.  What this most illustrates is that not
only lace is made by machines!

The web site we were referred to by Brenda mentions Cornely machines.  This
week I am reading the 2005 book from England by Diana Springall, "Inspired to
Stitch - 21 Textile Artists" and I have noticed these machines are often used
by the profiled artists to make modern embroideries.

So very much is "related" to lace techniques, and it is very interesting to
explore.  May I encourage you to let one book lead you to another?  And the
"another #1" lead you to "another #2"?  It is a wonderful way to add excitement
to your reading pleasure.  In this way, you explore the world of many
inter-related textiles and cultures without the great expense of travel and
accommodations.  This can inspire some Arachnes to design very original work
that
incorporates our beloved lace-making techniques.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center