I learned on Mum's Treadle, I was 5 because my brother Michael was crawling when he caused the needle to go through my thumb and he drowned 2 weeks after I turned 6 at 14 months.

That must have been terribly sad.

How did you learnt to use a treadle at 5? My legs were nowhere near long enough at that age? or did you turn the flywheel by hand?

Like Robin, I was given a child's Singer which did chain stitch and was turned by hand. (I was 5 or 6 that Christmas - and had to follow the unwound ball of wool to my parents' bedroom where I found the present. I guess they thought it wasn't the safest of presents to be found unsupervised at that age!) Sue