From: Brenda Paternoster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Leonard Bazar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, 8 July, 2006 12:03:38 AM
Subject: Re: [lace] Tambouring by hand and machine

A former BL student of mine used to work as a professional tambour
beader (in London).  She always worked with the beads/sequins
underneath.  Beads and sequins come threaded in strings; the thread of
the 'string' is knotted to the tambouring thread and the beads
transferred to the main thread which is underneath the fabric.  The
first loop is pulled through the fabric and then the tambouring is done
with the dominant (right) hand on top and the left hand feeling the
beads underneath and pushing them into position - a bead can be added
on any or all of the stitches as required, and they are on the single
underneath thread.

To have the beads on top would surely require two threads - one for the
beads and one for the tambouring which would 'couch' the bead thread
between the beads.

Brenda