Annette and Silvia
Thank you both for this, I haven't previously seen this lace and mistook the edging for croche.. I do understand what you are saying about the edging being needle not crochet. It is a very pretty piece and yes I do feel like a very lucky Mum Enjoyed looking at the site Silvia, thank you for sending it in and language didn't matter. It feels good to see the many styles of lace made around the world. Sorry its taken so long to reply but at present preparing for an 11 day living history camp. Lace is packed:-)
Sue T, Dorset UK

If you like to see some Lefkara's Lace pictures, you can go at this
address: http://www.fioretombolo.net/lefkaracipro.htm
Sorry, the site is all in italian language!
Silvia, from Italy

Sue, and all,
If it is hand made Lefkara, it will have a needle lace edging, not
crochet.
Have another look. The typical Lefkara edge is a squared off shape with
little picots on the very edge. Quite distinctive.