When I first got married in 1962, I didn't have a washing machine - I either went to the launderette and used their machines and dryers or did all my washing by hand if I didn't have the money for the launderette. If I did it by hand, large items like sheets were washed in the bath and scrubbed on a washboard - a wooden frame with a thick piece of ridged glass. When thoroughly rinsed, I put it through a very large wood and iron mangle which stood in the yard (covered with a tarpaulin when not in use in case it rained). The pressure between the two rollers was adjusted by a large screw on top of the frame. Once sheets (cotton) had been through the mangle twice they were almost dry and didnlt need long hanging on the washing line before they were completely dry. A bonus was that, ignoring the creases from mangling, sheets didn't need ironing. Nowadays I don't care whether they need ironing or not - they soon smooth out in use.:-)

My first washing machine (a top loaded that had to be filled with hot water and emptied when finished) had a small electric mangle attached to remove most of the soapy water befor carrying it to a sink to rinse.

I'm sure other of my age and probably younger remember, and have used, mangles.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK