I have seen a play here, in Catalan, a number of years ago about a
lacemaker. I never did know what it was called nor who wrote it and don't
think it can be the same play that has been discussed ont he list.

The local lace ladies here told me one afternoon that the next evening
they were going to the local theatre to watch a play about a lace maker,
did I want to go with them? I went though I don't understand Catalan too
well and could not see the actors mouths too clearly, I need to lip read
Catalan as well as listen to it as it is so different to Castellano,
which I have learnt.

The play that I saw was about a young lacemaker whose intended was going
off to Cuba to make his fortune. There was a very tearful farewell and
she stayed at home with her parents and siblings making lace until his
return. He was away for a few years and when he did return he came back
with a Cuban wife. The young lacemaker eventually died of a broken heart.

Where I live on the Costa Brava there were many families whose sole
income came from fishing or farming, females making lace to supplement
the income, and many of the young men went off to south america to seek
their fortune. They came back very rich and built large houses, we still
have one or to of those houses here in our town, our town hall is one of
them and another is the towns museum.

In the play the lacemaker was of course using a Catalan pillow, a long
cylindrical pillow which is slightly flattened at the top end, there are
other cylindrical pillows I have seen here that come from other regions.
Those from the Camarin(y)as area, for example, have two sticks, like
lengths of broom handles, sticking out of the top end on either side,
these sticks are to prop the pillow against the house wall and they keep
the pillow itself off the roughstone wall so that the fabric doesn't get
worn. Some pillows have a piece of leather fixes over the back side of
the top end to protect the pillow from the wall that it is propped
against.

Regards
Jenny DeAngelis.
Spain.

<
The article about the play was written by Lia Baumeister, and the play
is "Do�a Rosita la soltera" by F. Garcia Lorca as performed by the
Poncel Group Amsterdam (about 1999, going by other dates in the
magazine). The original article seems to have gone through a few
iterations before it was printed in the English supplement to the
magazine - so I'll paraphrase it rather than quote it:
"The objective of playwright Frederico Garcia Lorca when he wrote the
play was to portray a hyprocritical provincial society. It is located
in Granada, Spain; Albaic�n to be exact. In a subtle way the play
expresses the complex relation of Lorca with his birthplace. The aunt
in the play is a 'lacemaker.' >>