Jean, do you remember having to fold the buttons on garments to the insides,
so they weren't pulled off by the mangle's actions, tearing the fabric away
at the same time? Even the rubber buttons on my 'liberty' vests had to be
turned inside out this way. I reckon that maybe that's where 'mangled' and
'he's been through the mangle a few times!' originated. Those were the days
when we put top sheets to bottom, and washed the bottom ones only :-) My
Mother had 8 beds to change each week, so no wonder it was one clean sheet
per bed per week. She too used a copper boiler and a mangle, but she never
used the mangle in place of ironing - I well remember sheets coming in off
the line frozen stiff in the winter, and being draped around the kitchen (on
the range fireguard, on one of those 'maidens' etc. Thank you, whoever
invented the automatic washing machine and tumble dryer!
Pauline Denmark