Hi Lenore and everyone

For your bolster pillow, decide where you like to have your hands as
you work - if you have to hold them too high, then a large diameter
bolster wouldn't be suitable. I would experiment first with a rolled
up blanket to find the right diameter. Then you can sew a cotton
casing  of that dimension and stuff it with whatever.

The sawdust would be heavy, but it packs well. If your bolster is
long-ish, and sawdust-filled, I recommend a cradle for it, or it will
flop, like a sausage.
The straw is ok, but requires forcible packing to get a dense enough
pillow. It helps to cut it into one-inch bits first (by 'cutting' I
mean putting it through a machine, such as running a mulching
lawnmower over some, or feeding it into a garden mulcher. I have done
both). And, even though you pack and pack to get the pillow stuffed,
there is hardly any used up of a bale, so there will be plenty left
for the garden!

If you can find someone who has a sheep's fleece available cheaply,
remove from it the really grotty stuff, and wash the rest within an
old pillowcase, in a washing machine. It will be lumpy, but you should
be able to tease the lumps apart and let it all air dry. You could
then put the whole thing in the dryer (within the pillow case) unless
your fleeces shrinks a lot. Shrinking varies with the type/breed
(another subject altogether). Washed fleece will also pack well and a
whole fleece will be more than enough. If you were so inclined, you
could card it before washing - but carding an unwashed fleece is an
icky job.

You can also make the bolster of firmly (very firmly) rolled wool
blanketing. Put a fabric casing around it that you can cinch shut at
the ends (with a ribbon or cord through a hemmed casing). You want the
stuffing to be able to support your pins.

If your stuffing is too light, you will need to put a weight inside
for stability. For  my wool (cleaned fleece) filled bolsters, I put in
a smooth garden rock! Occasionally a long pin will graze its surface
(eek, not a nice sensation). Others have used small  juice cans filled
with something heavy, for the weight.

One of the quirky joys of lacemaking is the  making of a new lace pillow :)))
and I have a heap of  unspun fleece leftover from my spinning days awaiting...

Keep us informed of your bolster-making ;)