Thanks for Sylvie posting that I actually won first prize in the original
design.  No one was more surprised than me!  The Popular Choice ribbon had over
800 leaf tallies and was beautiful.  I am not allowed to post photos of my
design until after it appears in the Bulletin but you can bet I will have it on
show when we demonstrate this coming weekend and again at my lace guild the
weekend after.  Congratulations to Liz Ligetti for her second prize for the
Birthday Party ribbon, a very nice Bedfordshire piece with insets of needlelace
flowers.  A number of the winners were French Canadians and I did not remember
their names.  The Popular Choice ribbon I think also won the Technical section,
the leaves were perfection!!  There were 27 entries including one that was not
eligible.  As Liz had two pieces, one in each section, I wondered if she had
sent three.  The  ineligible one was a piece of needle lace of an Australian
plant, probably eucalyptus  but I can't remember the
 exact title.  Maybe Liz will set us right.

  I used Schwarovski <sp> pearls in two colors and different sizes of
purple/pink for the grapes and based the point ground design loosely on
polychrome techniques with a few added ones of my own.  As the piece was so
large I decided to use Gutterman 100/3 burgundy silk for the grounds which
blended in nicely with the autumnul colors I chose for the leaves, branches and
vines.  The title was Ribbon of Wine.  As my workmanship was not brilliant I
did not think it would win.  I told people I was going for the "rustic" look in
my lace to explain the nobbly branches. ;-)

  I think about 30 of us met for Arachne lunch on Monday in a nearby
restaurant.  Patsy organised the reservation but I don't think she was present.
 Someone brought 3 sparkly spiders webs with scary spiders for the table prizes
which was a great idea.  We were also given tiny black rubber spiders.  I used
mine to scare a roommate!   The Montreal Lacemakers did a great job with
convention and I had a wonderful week with a super class with Ulrike Voelker,
despite a heavy cold that started in the middle of the week and still seems to
be getting worse.  Thanks to everyone.
  Janice

Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA
http://www.lacemakersofillinois.org/