At 05:40 PM 8/2/2006 -0500, you wrote:
We heard from Miriam. How about Avital....??? Any one else in Israel?
.......And I  complain about a little hot weather.
Loving regards
BarbE

Thanks for asking, Barb!

The weather had been great. Within the past few days the temperature has been slowly going up until it's now in the 90's just like what you guys have. In Jerusalem, it's not humid, so it's not so bad. We do have a/c.

OK, that's not what you asked about....

The northern parts of the country (and the very far south, near Gaza) are the areas being bombarded with rockets and missiles. I'm in Jerusalem and Avital is in a suburb of Jerusalem, where, so far, it's been quiet. Here and in most locations in the center of the country and I imagine in the south, too, we are hosting refugee families from the northern cities. About 1/2 of the citizens of the north have gone south, rather than stay cooped up in the bomb shelters.

We have a separate entrance, small guest room. The mother and young children of a family are staying in a girls dorm in my community, and the father is staying in our small room. I don't even know what his name is! We were matched up by one of a number of people that have volunteered to match up the offers with the seekers.

It happens that he can stay downstairs only for another week, as we have many guests coming from out of the country for my daughter's wedding in 2 1/2 weeks.

To keep this needlework related. I am working feverishly on the chuppah (wedding canopy) for the wedding. I started this several years ago, intending it to be a family heirloom. I've worked on it on and off over the years. This will be it's first wedding. When they got engaged less than three months ago, I estimate it was about 80-90% done. But, it will be down to the wire.

There's no lace on it. I made some crochet lace for it, but decided against using it. There's some patchwork and appliques, but it's mostly embroidery and beading, done with silk ribbon and silk threads. You'll see pictures of it one day, I suppose.

Debbie in Jerusalem