I've got about a dozen fan patterns from various sources and they vary - a few are full semi- circles but most are a little less.

I've made two lace fans, one is a Bridget Cook design for the small plastic sticks that Springetts used to sell, that pattern is about 2 degrees short of 180. The other was for my daughter's wedding and definitely was less than 180 degrees - adapted an existing pattern which fitted both inner and outer diameters of the sticks that I had but I took a small section out to match the number of sticks.

Brenda