In a message dated 8/24/06 10:26:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Tthe black paper envelope my needles came in says "Made in England".  So at
> some point my fine steel knitting pins crossed the Atlantic.

Dear Collectors,

In my collection are many old packages of needles of various types.  They are
all wrapped in the black paper - which must have been treated with some
chemical (to prevent rusting?).  But, heed the word "must".  I do not know for
fact.

Also, I have a set of eight 8 1/2" long steel knitting needles that my
grandmother used to knit stockings and mittens.  They came to me in an
interlocking-type wooden tube  (one end slides into the other).  Maine is a
part of the
world where many small wood products have been made over the years.  The wood
has
no finish of varnish or any similar product - it is raw wood that has become
darker with age.  I *suspect they believed* the wood absorbed moisture before
it got all the way through to the needles..  After over 100 years, there is a
very little rusting of the needles.

Please bear in mind that I do not knit.  I just treasure these needles,
partly because grandmother never used them in front of me and refused to sew,
mend,
embroider or do any type of needlework.  By age 7, I was begging neighbors to
teach me how to embroider!

Within 4 years, by age 11, I was making clothing for myself and my first book
on needlework had become a personal treasure.  If you are a collector-type
person, starting at an early age is helpful.  Now, I have 60 years of collected
embroidery memories, and 3,300+ books that feed my needlework addiction.
Sometimes a really old book has the best answers.  At least, it is nearer the
source, and not something partially imagined that has been put on a website by
an
inadequate researcher and is being repeated as truth by those who should know
to go back to source material.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center