I was awakened from my lurking when I read messages about Liberty Lacers and
pearls.  Here's how it started.  Several members of Liberty Lacers gather at
the home of Betty MacDonald each Thursday to lace and chat.  We make lace,
laugh and never know what the topic of the day will be.  Earlier this year at
one
of our Thursday get-togethers, the conversation turned to a discussion about
pearls.  We discovered that each one of us has at least one bauble with a pearl
or pearls in it, and we rarely wear them.  I thought it would be fun to make
Thursday our lace & pearls day.  Now when we come together each week to make
lace, we wear our pearls.  Our dress is always casual so we make some
interesting fashion statements.

I don't know how many others gather in small groups on a weekly basis to make
lace.  Three of us began this schedule several years ago to prepare for a
Flanders workshop. It was meant to be just for a few weeks before the class,
but
we found the result so positive that we have continued with our lace
Thursdays.

Liberty Lacers is a group of lace makers from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and
its suburbs.  We'll be celebrating our 20th anniversary in 2007.  Betty
MacDonald (the creator of the blue cover crab on the Spring 2004 IOLI Bulletin)
is
currently our President and has been a member since 1987.  She will be teaching
her "Fingers Loose and Fancy Free" workshop this November.  Maybe one of the
students in her class will come up with another cover creation.

Thank you for your kind words about our group.  We love making lace, and we
enjoy each other's company.  It's a happy combination!

Nikki Nelson
Liberty Lacers