If you have no one to help create tension as you wind the felted material around the core, open a window ("sash" type), and close it on one end of the material. Then begin winding, pulling hard against the end caught in the window. I have done two bolsters this way: they are nice and firm.

I just stand on it. Lay the strip out so you can back down it, start rolling, and slowly move backwards as you go. At the very end you can roll right down to your foot.

Also, I don't know if it was mentioned (and this is probably the way everybody does it, but just in case it isn't) - I cut my blanket up into strips the right width and then butt the edges together and lightly hand sew them together first (keeping it so the edges don't overlap and make a bump). Then I can wrap the resulting long, long strip (I've done as much as 5 yards) around the bolster at one go.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)