In a message dated 9/30/06 11:27:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Next weekend I demonstrate at a Martin Luther Renaissance fair at a local
> church.  I do not dress in period for this one as I am not sure what type of
> lace might have been made at that time.

Dear Janice Blair and Interested Others,

For anyone faced with this dilemma there is Gilian Dye's 64-page booklet
"Elizabethan Lace" published by Elviston Press of Boston Spa England, 1995,
priced
about $15 from U.S. supplier Van Sciver, ISBN 0-9522709-3-5 (if still
available).  Covers various bobbin lace techniques and also cutworks,
reticella,
lacis, and the making of cords and laces using a lucet.  There are patterns and
photos of finished items such as a hanky, baby's bonnet, necklace.

Another book is "Le Pompe 1559 - Patterns for Venetian Bobbin Lace", 128-page
soft cover, by Santina Levey & Patricia Payne), Ruth Bean Publisher, 1983,
priced about $20 from U.S. supplier Van Sciver, ISBN 0-903585-16-2 (if still
available).  Contains a technical section, patterns, and photos of finished
laces.

There are other books, but I think these two relate well to the skills of
current lacemakers.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace & Embroidery Resource Center