This announcement was made today by the Computer Science Department at the University of Arizona:

--I am very sad to report that Ralph Griswold passed away this morning. As most of you know, Ralph was the first Head of CS and was selected as a Regents Professor in 1990. He became an Emeritus Regents Professor in 1995, but by no means did he retire --- far from it. Despite being diagnosed with cancer last year, he remained extremely active through last week, when he took a sudden turn for the worse.--

As we all know so well, the Professor was allowed a year after diagnosis to pursue collecting and organizing material for his web site. John Cropper, his loyal and faithful friend, has been at his side every day of that year (and probably more) and has helped him put things in order. John will continue the site for the time being, and many of us are still scanning for it.

It was just by chance that I connected with Ralph Griswold (aka the Professor) and for the past four years he helped and guided me through the many pitfalls of scanning, always with patience and sometimes a very nice wry sense of humor. I will miss our many emails.

I'm sure that many of you will want to send cards to his wife to let her know how much his work meant to them. Her address is:

Madge Griswold
5302 E. 4th Street
Tucson
Arizona 85711