(Forgive me if this was mentioned back in April, it has been a stressful year!
I even sent this message first time around from the wrong email address so I
don't think it got through first time ...)

My family tend to save newspaper cuttings for me whenever they think I might be
interested.  I collected the latest batch when I went back to England a few
weeks back.  One of them, dated April 22nd 2006, from the Telegraph Weekend,
was about lace makers in Sri Lanka.  (See
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/main.jhtml?xml=/fashion/2006/04/24/eflace22.xml
 for the web version of the article itself.)

The article is all about how the lace makers suffered during the tsunami and
how the UK costume designer, Andrea Galer, is trying to help them.  Apparently
their work is being featured in several UK TV and film productions.  They are
also selling a special wristband for £5.  It would be interesting to know how
much they tend to sell at the prices they are charging.  Anyway, to find out
more check out the website http://www.powerofhandsfoundation.co.uk

It is good to see lace making a comeback in fashion, helped of course by the
costume designers like Andrea, and that some people still see the value of
handmade items.  I hope that this trend continues and that it encompasses all
types of lace - I am a particular fan of the wire lace made by Lenka Suchanek
:-) and have even been known to wear some of her lace myself!  (To see her
latest stuff then check out the website http://www.lenkas.com )  All we need
now is for someone like Lenka to make a successful connection with someone like
Andrea and I will know that lace is truly back in fashion ...

Helen (in sunny Vancouver, BC, on the west coast of mainland Canada where the
lovely weather continues even into October)