The 1993 conference was put on by the Portland Lace
Society.  It was the year I started learning bobbin
lace.  When the conference happened, I was just past
my beginning set of lessons.  My teacher insisted as
many as possible from my group attend the conference,
and helped us choose classes we could cope with.

I was working at the time, and couldn't get the week
off, but my office let me off half days.  I worked
till noon, then made a mad-dash hour drive to the
Multnomah Bible College to barely make the afternoon
class of Schneeberger.  After class, most days, I had
to go directly home.  I visited the venders once, and
stayed for the Friday banquet, but didn't do more than
have a brief visit to the dormitory building.  I can't
speak to dorm conditions, and didn't get the full
experience of the conference.

Lia was my teacher, and was very patient with a
beginner who was mostly ignorant of anything lace.
With diligent work, I completed the main part of the
little doily but it had a small braid and picot center
filling.  I must have looked so blank about how to do
it that Lia said "I'll show you".  Then she proceeded
to do the entire little filling for me.  Thus, I could
go home in a finished doily. (Thanks, Lia!)

While the class itself was very educational for me --
just seeing the pillows, bobbins, and tools of the
others in the class was very stimulating.  I picked up
several ways of dealing with the bobbins, etc, that I
have since used.  I also resolved to attend future
conferences in full, and stay at the location.  Too
many things were missed by being a parttime commuter.

The PLS lacemakers worked very hard, trying to make
the conference enjoyable.  They left lots of notes for
us future members -- which we used in planning the
conference we hosted last June.  There was only one of
the original members left who helped us as an advisor
for the recent conference.

You brought back memories with this discussion thread.
 I still have my little Schneeberger doily.

Happy lacing,
Alice in Oregon -- where it started raining, and has
made the walnuts start raining down, also.