Since the List is a bit quiet, Noelene tell us a bit
more about your group's plans.

This is a HUGE project.  On the webpage, I see that
they are using an historically correct bonnet pattern,
but it can be decorated in either authentic designs or
modern designs.  The sample pictures says embroidery
with lace trim.  At first thought, I wondered how many
of the transported women would have had any lace of
any kind on their bonnets.....and even how many had
bonnets.  However, the bonnet sample they used had a
lace edging around the brim and the neck.

Quote on bonnet details:
"This bonnet pattern is from an 1860s colonial bonnet
made of muslin, lace-trimmed with embroidery over top
of bonnet.

Christina's suggestion for materials to be used in the
making of the bonnet would be muslin, or calico, or
homespun or cotton or linen such as old linen sheets.
The bonnets can be plain or fancy.  If embroidery is
used it could be candlewick stitching or other work
from the period or it can be more contemporary.
Christina would prefer the bonnet material to be cream
or white but any decoration on the bonnets is up to
the individual.  Appliqué would be appropriate.

Christina would like the name of the maker/s to be
written on an inside hem of the bonnet.  Bonnets can
be made individually or collaboratively.  The convict
woman's name on the outside of the bonnet can be
written on with craft pen, stitched, outlined with
ribbon or buttons ... whatever the maker desires."
End quote.

It's true, my knowledge of Australian history is
probably a bit sketchy.  I've read bits and pieces in
stories, and seen movies.  I doubt the movies were
exactly like the real thing.

Noelene -- What kind of lace does your group think is
appropriate for this project?  The webpage requested
decorating with hearts and roses.  Would you use a
lace pattern with hearts in it, for example?  Or leave
the hearts and roses to the embroidery and just make a
narrow edging?

Have you downloaded the pattern and measured the
amount of lace needed per bonnet?  Or just per brim?
(The bonnet pages were not available when I tried.
Maybe too many people were looking at them.)

Many basic bonnets could be made in a group work
session.  From the picture, the pattern does not look
difficult.  Decorating would take some time.  Would
you accept lace donations to use on your bonnets?  I'm
sure I have some yardage, new or old, that would work.

Do most of your group have a convict ancestor to
claim, or are you adopting a group of names?

I think I'll stop asking questions now.

Alice in Oregon -- with a foggy, damp day ahead