Thanks to Alice for giving the answer on finishing and handling the string - also useful for anyone else who makes any of the designs using paper strings.

To answer Barbara's question on where to get paper strings, I got 9 different coloured bundles of strings from Tim Parker at last year's Poole Bobbin Lace Day. I also got 5 yards of white this week from him (he's in the next town). I believe he is going to stop selling them - probably not a great deal of demand for them. They're currently listed on his web site under sundries:

"PAPER STRINGS
As used by Eeva-Liisa Kortelahti in her new book 'Bobbin Lace with Paper Strings'

10 metre skein - available in 16 colours each £1.25

175 metre hanks - white each £12.00

Colours available - white, natural, dark green, light green, red, lilac, pink,yellow, blue, apricot, orange, brown, blue/black, coral red and grey. "

http://www.cyberlink.co.uk/timparker/index.html

Link to the catalogue is at the bottom of the page - the left hand pane doesn't work for me. I have no connection with Tim other than being a satisfied customer.

There are 5 suppliers addresses listed in the front of the book - three in Finland, Theo Brejaart in the Netherlands and one address (other than Tim) in England.

I'm told the large angel featured in the book takes 8 yards of string.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK



----- Original Message ----- From: Barbara Joyce
To: Jean Nathan ; Lace
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 5:21 PM
Subject: Re: [lace] Lace with paper strings


Jean,

I'm sorry I can't be of any help with your question, but I have one for you.
I've never seen this book and am enchanted with the photo of the cover. I'd
like to give it a try, but I don't recall ever seeing the paper string for
sale at any vendor's table or any Internet listing.

Can anyone suggest a source for obtaining the paper strings?

Oh! It just occurred to me that Alice Howell (Hi, Alice!) made an little
angel with paper string wings and flower for the 2004 Arachne Christmas
exchange. You can see it here (scroll down):

http://homepage.mac.com/bejoyce/arachne/

Perhaps Alice can answer your question and/or mine!

Barbara Joyce

Snoqualmie, WA
USA



I'm just starting the sunflower from Eva Kortelahti's book "Bobbin Lace with
Paper Strings". Has anyone worked something from this book?

For those who haven't seen these designs, they have cut lengths of twisted,
coloured paper string trapped in the work the same way that gimps are
trapped.
The ends of the string stick out and are unravelled when the piece is
finished to form flower petals, leaves, or wings (or sometimes just as a
very thick gimp). The cover of the book with three of the flower panels,
including the sunflower one, can be seen on:

http://www.lace-making.com/books/paper%20string.jpg

tinied: http://tinyurl.com/yfdqer

<snip>

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to