Dear Spiders
apropos of Salvador Dali's "Woman at a Window":

<Snip>The author remarks on the oddity of a
spool of red thread sitting by the lacemaker's pillow when the lace is in
white. The author goes on to say that the red pricking, which I always just assumed was red to draw the viewer's eye to the work in an otherwise pastel shaded piece, was because that was the "preferred background for the display
of lace in the early days of this art."

I've just been having a good look at the Dali painting, and I think I have an explanation: she is working with gold thread. The simple edging would be typical of metal thread work. And the thread on the spool would appear orangy.

Lace prickings given to the workers by the commercial lace dealers during the Middle Ages were pieces of parchment dipped in saffron dye to make the white threads more visible (or so I read in the Spanish lace list). That is the reason why even now, magazine or commercial prickings are printed in reddish or bright orange paper.

I'd not heard of this use of saffron before. It could only have been common in countries like Spain where saffron is cheap. In England and Northern Europe, though it used to be grown, I think it was always a luxury dye and would have been reserved for fine silks rather than utilitarian lace prickings!

Thanks to whoever posted the site (I'm afraid I've lost track). It's a lovely painting, and quite untypical of Dali's later, madder work. The variation of Vermeer really is too weird.

Happy lacing

Bridget, in chilly Hertfordshire, England