Anita,
I'm with you and do virtually the same thing,. However, at all of our supermarkets in Australia we can buy the coloured clear contact - I prefer blue for white thread and green for black thread. It's usually less than AUS$1 per roll (that's about US$0.77

I don't ever pre-prick. All the lace I make is the finest possible for me and with the hundreds of bobbins involved with a complex piece of Chantilly, I find it far better (and safer) to simply prick each hole immediately before I use it. Often I can't even see exactly where it is, but, being the only hole pricked, the pin slides neatly into it. If I had pre-pricked one of these designs I would have mistakes all over it and never know where I was up to.
David in Ballarat

scan a desired pricking into my computer, adjust if necessary with
Photoshop and print the desired size onto light blue cardstock.  I then
use clear contact shelf paper (found inexpensively at Wal-mart or many
other stores) to cover the pricking.  This keeps the ink from getting wet
and staining the lace and also provides a little more stiffness.  So for
about $15 I have a rolll of contact paper and a ream of cardstock that
will keep me in prickings for many years to come!