I come from the Channel Islands, but have lived here in New Zealand since the 60s. I have seen horseshoes given to brides in both places, usually when they were standing outside the church after the service. Sometimes I have seen them given wooden spoons and rolling pins!!! I don;t know where the habit started, but some brides end up with their arms quite full. Very often these items are presented by small children and babies in the family.

By the way, many thanks for the replies re the three pair half stitch. I am beginning to think I must have had a bad dream at some stage and imagined it!!! I am trying to confirm that a piece of lace is actually machine made, rather than hand and the only bit that really looks different to hand made is the half stitch area between some petals!

Sue Fink,
Masterton, New Zealand
Thank you Aussies, for sending us a nice hot sunny day! But I do hope those fires of yours are not getting worse and that you are getting some breaks in the weather to let them die down.