In a message dated 12/14/06 3:18:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Thanks Kenn for so much info about ethafoam, but be wary of covering a
> pillow with denim.  Indigo dyes are VERY fugative - some brands of
> jeans are guranteed to to bleed colour in the wash!
>
> Brenda

Dear Irene,

I would add that *some* colored felts bleed when wet.  Pre-test whatever
padding material you use, and also the fabric that will come in direct contact
with lace threads.  The rule of thumb is to anticipate future "problems" and
avert them in the planning stages.

Dyes that run tend to be permanent once they dry on whatever they have
stained.  Anyone who has had this happen with colored embroidery threads can
attest
to this, which is why I worry about the trend towards colored laces.  The
reality is that lacemakers are not in the habit of testing threads for
color-fastness!  Embroiderers have learned that there are thread manufacturers
who have
let us down on this.  Pre-test anything that is darker than a pastel.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center