Hi Debora,

Welcome to the world of lacemaking!!  To every
question, there's usually several answers since there
is a variety of types of laces and kinds of thread. So
here's one opinion.

How much thread to put on the bobbin is an age-old
question.  Most patterns, once you are past the very
beginning projects, won't tell you.  You sort of learn
to guess, with experience.  You also learn that it's
not the end of the world to have to add more thread
when a bobbin runs out.

Since you are beginning, chances are you are doing
Torchon bookmarks.  My Torchon teacher told us to use
4 times the length of the finished pattern for basic
Torchon where the threads take turns doing the various
stitch patterns and no single pair does all the cloth
stitch sections of the item.

However, if you have one pair acting as worker down
through a bunch of fans, that pair will need a whole
lot more.  You can actually use a ruler and measure
the amount of thread needed to do one fan.  Or take a
thread and pin it back and forth over the path of the
fan worker on one fan, and then measure the thread.
Multiply by the number of fans to get the thread
length needed.  Add an extra foot, to be safe, plus
the leash (the part between the pattern and the
bobbin).

For the majority of small Torchon projects like
bookmarks, you are fairly safe to wind one yard on a
bobbin.  Some thread will be extra. but most projects
can be completed without needing more.

If you are doing a long (yards) edging, just wind the
bobbins full and go for it.  If/when you run out, you
add more.

If you are going to do a series of small items with
the same thread, you can wind one bobbin full, then
unwind just the amount needed for a project from the
full bobbin to the second bobbin.  At the end of an
item, discard the thread left on the second bobbin,
and unwind more from the full bobbin for the next
project.  This way, you only have to rewind half the
bobbins between projects.

Please note that these comments work on Torchon.  If
you are doing a tape lace, it's a completely different
story.  Write back again when you start tape laces.

Second question:  Starch -- old fashioned kind:
Someone else will have to detail this one.

I use spray starch if I have to starch something, so I
don't have to cook it, etc.  I usually just starch
ornaments or 3-D items that have to hold a shape.

For the spray starch, I pin out the item on a
cardboard covered with plastic wrap or wax paper. If
there are ends or tails that don't need starched,
cover them with bits of the wrap or paper.  I have
separate pins that are used only for starch so I don't
have to keep washing them.  Spray lightly and let dry.
 Spray again if it needs to be stiffer.

Third question - Left over threads:
If you have lots of thread left, and doing small
projects, you can wind off enough from a full bobbin
to a second bobbin to do the next project.

It is possible to tie two threads together and then
wind the knot onto one bobbin far enough down that the
knot might not appear in the project.

If the knots will appear, and you really want to do
this, wind the tied threads onto the bobbins at
different distances so they don't all appear at the
same area in the project.

In this type of situation, just trim off the 'tails'
that stick out from the knots after the item is
removed from the pillow.  At a little distance, the
knots will not be seen.  Your other choice is to leave
long enough tails to thread on a needle, and weave
them in.  This long a tail would be a real nuisance
while working.  The weaving in would be a nuisance
when the project is off the pillow.  This is usually
done only at the end of a project to get rid of all
the ends.

If you are doing bookmarks, you can make a fringe at
the top of the bookmark, as well as the bottom.  Just
knot the threads together and pin them 5 inches above
your pattern.  When the bookmark is done, and you have
fringed and trimmed the bottom, turn the pillow
around, knot the top threads to match the bottom
threads, and trim the ends.

Remember, the thread is actually one of the cheapest
parts of your equipment.  The cost of the discarded
thread is pennies.  If the project is small, don't
deal with knots in it.  Save the knots for yardage
projects when you will use more than one bobbinful of
thread.  The knots, in this case, are usually spread
out enough that they are not readily seen.

Thus you have one person's opinion.  There'a always
more than one way to do something, and one opinion.
Maybe someone else will give an alternate one.  Take
your choice, and go for it!

Merry Christmas,
Alice in Oregon