Any thread left on the bobbins at the end of a project: I throw away any thread that's less than about 15 inches. Those longer than that I wind the bobbin on to an empty thread spool (I always keep the spools from sewing thread whem they're empty), tie the next length to the first and so on until it's all on the spool. Then I use that thread for mounting the piece I just finished, for odd sewing jobs or embroidery - especially useful if you make lace with coloured threads - for making tassles or for making the dolls my grandmother used to make (and I believe featured in a Dryad leaflet) (cut ot the knots for these).

In case anyone's interested in the dolls, when you've collected quite a lot of different threads: wind the thread around your hand and remove the short resulting skein. Tie thread around it near the top, then again a short distance down (gives the neck and hair). Cut through the loops at the top to make the hair. Tie around the middle for the waist. For a girl, cut the loops at the bottom to form a skirt. For a boy, divide the loops to form two legs, tie round close to the bottom to make feet and cut through the loops at the end to make fringe feet. Make a second, thinner skein around your hand, tie a thread around near both ends and cut the loops. Poke this through the body previously made between the waist and the neck. Embroider eyes, nose and mouth. Result a little doll with fringe hair, hands and feet or skirt for Christmas tree ornaments

One suggestion I saw a long time ago on this list for short length of threads (again especially coloured ones and particularly with metallics) is to put them inside a clear plastic ball with a loop (a bauble) to hang on the Christmas tree.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK