I was afraid that it might be that kind of "Lace". That area of England  does
not seem to have much of a lacemaking tradition. I am planning a trip to
include Bowes Museum which will probably start and end in Manchester reaching
Glasgow and Edinburgh if all goes well. Also hoping to hit the Ruskin  Museum.
Does anyone have familiarity with the Gallery of English Costume in
Manchester? According to the Lace Guild guide it has an "extensive collection
of  lace
of all types including lace on costumes and some special collections. Lace  is
not always displayed but three people at a time may study the lace by prior
appointment. Some lace can be handled and photographed without flash."

Devon