Robyn,

Personally, I'd ignore the dots and fill the center with halfstitch.  I
don't think lines of pinchain are an appropriate filling for the disk
of a sunflower--the tiny flowers of the disk are arranged in spirals.
I think half-stitch would look good in there, even if it's not
traditional Tonder that way.

I could do that. However, not being an absolute purist myself, I tend to make these sorts of prickings into something more like Chantilly, in which case, I shall definitely be using half-stitch fillings for the petals (so much more forgiving than whole-stitch). Ilske has kindly sent me a number of fillings that would be accommodated by these dots.

I had already considered square tallies. But there are already quite a lot of leaf tallies in the pricking, and frankly, I was hoping to avoid any more :)
David