Gentle Spiders,

First, apologies for not replying to each and every one of you who'd written me with suggestions -- on and off list -- there's too many of you, wonderful people :) That's not to say I have not appreciated your input; in fact, I spent most of today testing the various options (beginning with the easiest ones, which didn't require downloading any 'forreign material "<g>)

Today's consensus had been "send the text as a .pdf file" with various suggestions on how to do it. Some people, taking my measure, added "if you can" to "send as pdf" :) And one -- who's been watching my half-brained antics on Arachne for years and who first steered me to Mac -- sent *very easy* instructions...

With the help of those and the services of a willing "guinea pig" (thanks, *both* Sue-s!), I arrived at this conclusion:

A .pdf file is the the most universal and easiest way of receving text, and the easiest one for me, too. I cannot convert to the pdf via the Save As, the same way I can to Windows XP etc. What I can do -- and it really is way simpler -- is open the document (as I would have to anyway), hit Print and pause long enough to notice that there's a "save as pdf" button on the print order...:) The Adobe Reader icon appears magically (I Save To: Desktop) and I can drag it into the body of the e-mail. Piece of cake :)

Sending the text file is "iffy", to say the least. Yes, anyone can receive it, because it's stripped of all formatting. Incuding the line breaks; one recipient described it as text that was a mile long :) Since I absolutely *hate* having to scroll, left/right, right/left, left/right... through text, I'm not going to inflict this punishment on others :)

Now, the scanned images... Danek taught me how to Save to File-> Save As pdf which, again, brings up the Adobe Reader. But, last night, when I sent such a pd effed file of a scan to David, he complained that it was too big. I should have used a jpeg, he said. That was news to me; I have never seen (at least not so I can remember) a jpeg file that was not a *photo* (from a digital camera). So, naturally, I told him off in no uncertain terms :)

But, today, my guinea pig confirmed: it's OK to send line drawings (diagrams, prickings, etc) as pdfs but it's better to send them as jpegs, because they take up much less bandwidth. Gifs would be ideal, she said.

Well, gifs aren't in my range of options for saving scans but jpegs *are*. I can even make a double-trouble, .pdf.jpeg file :) My "scan the image" experiments, which I then dragged off the Desktop into e-mails to self and printed out came up with the following statistics: 1) The .pdf file, when printed out, produced an image which was smaller than the original source (ca 87%). The message which included it came in at 794KB, the attachment itself was 587KB. 2) The .jpeg file gave me an image which printed out at about 163% of the source and came in at 204KB (attachment 150KB) 3) The mixed .pdf.jpeg file produced an image that was ca 175% of the source and came in at 199KB (the attachment was 146KB)

All scans were done at 300dpi though some variations in size might be due to the fact that each time the image was cropped separately. The scanned images which are e-mailed directly (instead of being Saved As and To) seem to come through at the same size as the source (100%) but take up the largest amount of KBs (and seem to be converted to a pdf willy-nilly). So it's still a matter of choice: 1) no fiddling at your end but a large file (e-mail); 2) some fiddling at your end, but a "middling" file (pdf) which takes up more paper space 3) fiddling at your end, small file (jpeg) and more paper for printing out.

At the moment, I'm inclined to send pdfs for both images and text. But if any of you are bandwidth-restricted, please let me know and I'll send the images as jpegs. I do remember -- all to well -- how many times I cursed people whom I considered my friends but who sent me messages over 250KB :)

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/