Living here in Spain for over 20 years and having gone to many lace days during that time I have heard the word Mundillo used a lot to describe any shape of lace pillow, whether correctly or incorrectly, but I have also heard lace pillows of any shape and size called Cojin - Cushion, Almohada - Pillow. I think it all depends on which part of Spain you come from as to which word you use, rightly or wrongly for the type of pillow in use.

I am glad to have Antje's correct meaning of the word mundillo as I have often wondered exactly why it was used instead of the words almohada or cojin by some people.

Here in Catalunya the words are different again for the pillow -Coixi and bobbins-boixets because in this corner of Spain the language is Catalan, Castillano/Spanish is the 2nd. language. Boix being the wood that the bobbins are made from which is Box wood, boixets meaning literally little peices of box wood.

It seems to be that the countries of Northern Europe use a flat pillow, mushroom shape of completely flat, and work with the bobbins being moved over the pillow without lifting them up very often. Whereas countries in Southern Europe tend to use the upright long sausage shaped pillows propped against a convenient wall or chairback with the base resting in the lap. The bobbins being worked by holding them in the hands, not all at once of course but just those few that are in immediate use, the rest hanging to the sides of the pillow.

Anyone planning a visit to Catalunya should try coming for the last weekend in April this year as that is when out little town on the Costa Brava is holding the annual lace day for the Catalunya region, the numbers of participants will be limited to 5,000 lacemakers so something of a sight to see. We will be sitting along the sea front, the road being closed off for the whole day, and I expect there will be about 50+ suppliers as per usual for this event.

Antje will you be coming? if so we must try to meet up and say hello somehow.

Regards
Jenny DeAngelis
Spain.

<<Another note on Spanish terms: bear in mind that although in Puerto Rico
Spanish is spoken, sometimes the same words don't have the same meaning.
In Puerto Rico, mundillo means the pillow , but also the lace. Whereas in
Spain, mundillo is only the pillow, but usually the pillow which has a
roller on a wooden piece of furniture. The long Spanish pillow is called
"almohadilla" or "almohada" (literally: pillow)

Greetings from Antje, in Guadalajara, Spain>>