When I read Christine's email, I knew I had seen this filling somewhere in my Tonder books. A perhaps more accessable photo of it can be found in Karen Trend Nissen's "Knipling 3" on the cover, as well as on pages70 through 79.

Sally
Anchorage Alaska

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christine Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lace@arachne.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 12:18 AM
Subject: [lace] Antique Toender Pattern

Hello Spiders,

I've been lured out of lurkdom by the discussion of the filling for David's antique Toender pattern. The filling is known as "Lopper" (which translates as "fleas") in Toender lace, and is the same as the Beveren filling which is
translated as "lice". It is, as ?Alice (guilty of skimming the Lace-Digest
in a very cursory manner and deleting before realising I've missed
something) mentioned, a very close relative of the "small snowflake" of the
Binche/Flanders/Paris family of laces.

This filling is seen in the centre of a variety of large flowers in the
Toender patterns of the 1800-1850's.
(David, it is also used in the half flowers on the headside of this
pattern.)

The pattern itself is "Ordensbaandet" ("Ribbon of an order"). There is a
good photo of a slightly wider version of the design in "Kniplebrevet" 53 in
an article about Astrid Hansen, the lacemaker who made the handerkerchief
for Princess Mary for her wedding. This pattern was her 1966 (?final)
examination piece for qualification as a lace teacher at the Copenhagen
School for Drawing and Applied Arts. The examination required that the
candidate construct a working diagram, pricking and sample from an old piece
of lace in a 4-week period working from 9-5 5 days a week.

Both Astrid's final examination and ?Esther Winkel's were on display at the
Toender Lace Festival in 2001, displayed in such a way that my photos are
90% blur and 10% useful. However, this variation of loppern was worked
entirely in CTCT ( the blur for the centre of the flower is uniformly red!).
I asked Astrid whether her working diagram was available for sale - the
answer was for about $US75, with an explanation of the work involved. (Since
I do battle with reconstruction of old patterns myself, I know exactly how
much work is involved and thought it was a very reasonable price - but the
pattern is not high on the list of ones I am considering for the this or the
next 3 lifetimes, so didn't push for her to sell it to me.)

David, please e-mail me privately if you would like me to scan the photo
from "Kniplebrevet" No 53 - it is a good close-up of the straight piece of
the slightly wider version. I also have a couple of photos I took in 1989 at the first Toender Lace Festival, the one more softly focussed of the corner
and a more sharply focussed one of a straight section. I believe these two
examples were from different museums - the Toender Museum, the Flensborg
Museum and the Museum of Decorative Arts in Copenhagen produced a
magnificent combined display for the debut Festival. There was at least a
metre of the straight piece.

Diagrams of the various possible methods of working loppern are to be found
in the superb article by Glenn  Jungersten "Toender and Modern Tyl" in
"Kniplebrevet" 39 which compares modern Toender working methods with the
methods seen in the older laces.

If there is a wider interest, I am happy to send the scans to the various
items to Joyce to post where others may access them.

Christine J (Sydney, Australia - and yes, I am hoping to get back to Toender
again this year, but my current project is finalising a place to stay in
Brugge for Year 3 of the Binche course and deciding what to do with the 4
week gap in the middle. I am hoping to stay on in Toender for 1 week of it,
as I did in 2001, making sketches of a couple of patterns I am trying to
reconstruct).