Bucks and Tønder both belong to the category of point ground laces. There
are many similarities. Tønder is worked with a finer thread, anything from
Egyptian Cotton 120/2 to 170/2 depending on the pricking. The gimp is
relatively heavy, such as linen 35/2 or 35/3. Gunvor encouraged use of linen
thread as gimp because it lends body to the lace.

There are several differences between Bucks and Tønder: in Bucks a picot is
made in the "valley" at the headside, but in Tønder, at the valley pin the
workers are brought through the headside passives, twisted twice around the
pin, and then taken back through the headside passives and into the lace.
Also, in Bucks at the footside a cloth stitch is made (C, T, C) after you
"pin under four," but in Tønder it's a half stitch (C, T). In Bucks, the
footside is on the right and the headside is on the left, but the reverse is
true of Tønder. Tønder also uses Copenhagen holes, which is too difficult to
try to describe here, but is a way of making a big hole in the lace. But to
see one, look back at the web page, in the picture of the cover of Knipling
3, the top corner has a Copenhagen hole at the very top.

There are some books available that can help you get into this kind of lace
(which is my favorite--can you tell?). Knipling 3 is wonderful, and
expensive (around $50), was out of print for a while, but is now available
again. It is in Danish only, but a very good translation is available for
around $15. There is a good out-of-print book called The Technique of Tønder
Lace by Skovgaard, available on eBay from time to time, but it usually runs
around $60-$70 to get a copy. Gunvor wasn't wild about this book; she said
Skovgaard oversimplifies Tønder lace to make it easier for the masses to
learn, but she takes liberties with technique. That may be true for a
purist, but for most purposes, I think it would be fine, and it's in
English.

Hope this helps give you an idea of the lace,

Barbara Joyce

Snoqualmie, WA
USA
Where we have snow today! Lots of it! :-(