I'll be brave and speak up here.  Many edgings are too
big to lay the entire pricking out on a surface and
still have room to work, or be able to reach the area
of work if the pillow is very large.  Most of my
projects like this are done on some sort of block
pillow that has only the working area pinned down at
any one time.  The completed lace usually lies free.

When coming to the joining section, the beginning part
of the lace has to be pinned back onto the pattern.
Since the lace has relaxed/shrunk since coming off the
pins, it must be stretched back to size.  Pin
carefully and securely for at least an inch, or
several rows of pins.

After the joining is completed, let it sit on the
pillow for a day or so to let all the threads settle
into their positions.  Once unpinned, it will all
relax/shrink together.  There should be no difference
between the beginning section and the ending.  The
skill of the join will determine how visible it is,
not the fact that part was unpinned for a while.  And
some of mine have spent months or even years unpinned
before they were joined.

I don't think this should have any impact on the grid
used for the pattern.  The finished bobbin lace will
be a bit smaller than the original grid (unless you
have a real loose tension when making the lace).
Allowance for shrinkage must be considered when making
lace for an already finished fabric, whether it is a
straight edging, square hanky, or a round doily.

This is personal opinion, all the way.  Someone else
may have a different idea about it.

Alice in Oregon