Sue Duckles wrote:

How on earth do you recognise just from looking , the different types  of
lace??

I can recognise torchon (I think) but I can't tell the difference  between
Bucks, Beds, Tonder, Rauma, Honiton, etc>

Well I'd start very, very simply. And the following is over-simplifying, but will give you somewhwere to start.

First, there are continuous laces, i.e. start at one point and finish the whole piece of lace at another like Christine Springett's snake bookmark - start at the head and finish at the tail. Torchon, Bucks, Beds, Tonder are some examples of continuous laces.

There are piece laces, where you make motifs and join them together, for example Bruges is made up of flowers, leaves and scrolls made separately and then joined together with a filling - it's not quite that simple, but you get the idea. Honiton is also a piece lace.

With continuous laces you start with a set of bobbins and "mainly" keep working with them till the end. Piece laces involve making a bit of the lace, finishing off, starting again by adding bobbins finish off, add bobbins, and so on.

I can't tell the difference between Bucks and Tonder, they're both similar. They tend to have "roundy" holes for the background and flowery shapes.

Torchon is more "boxy" with squarish and triangular shapes or ground of stitches, and usually made on a 45 degree grid.

Beds is often leaves, plaits and picots and very open. You'll see large leaves made of smaller leaves.

As I said this is very much over-simplified, but might help you get started.

I remember a Poole Bobbin Lace Day when I volunteered to help and was put on the competition table with someone else who didn't know one lace from another. We discussed each one, came to a decision on what type it was and were completely wrong about 50% of the entries! I still don't know what a lot are - just the ones I've had a go at. You can't learn it all in one go.

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK