Dear Lacemakers,

The magic thread technique Jacquie in Lincolnshire described is illustrated
on page 55 of Christine Springett's book: "The Torchon Lace Book".  I have a
friend who learned this technique from Christine and my friend uses magic
threads all the time, with beautiful results.  She uses sewing threads for this
purpose.  You can use pastels without a color of fuzz showing in your finished
lace when you pull out the threads.  Some color contrast makes it easier to
avoid
hooking into your lace thread.

Each individual starting loop gets a magic thread.

My friend manages this in an assembly line way.  She sits down and prepares
her magic threads all at one time.  She winds them on a long piece of card so
they won't get tangled.  She uses a variety of colors - because it helps to
keep your place.  The way she pins the tails back actually looks pretty.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center