I often use magic threads at the beginning of a piece, and at a place of
multiple crossings in Russian tape lace or Beds.

With the bunch at the beginning, I use (as has earlier been suggested) very
long threads, and twist them or plait them together, twist the end around a
glass headed pin, and, pulling them firmly, anchor the ends with the glass
pin to one side of my work.   There they remain.   They never seem to get in
the road of my ongoing work.  And if it is a large piece and the beginning
is going to be unpinned as you move the work up, then the plait is a better
idea, then the threads don't get tangled up.  I got the idea from seeing
European samples started and finished with plaited threads to keep them
tidy.

Having used magic threads in tatting for many years before I moved on to
bobbin lace, I was already keen on them, and immediately saw their value
when I first heard of using them in bobbin lace.

I also use a magic thread when doing fillings in Russian tape lace, when I
want to do leaves in the gimp colour and don't want to bring a gimp thread
in to the filling area.   I clip two of my working bobbins together with a
tiny rubber band, and introduce a new bobbin with the gimp thread on it at
the top of the first leaf.   The "tail" from this bobbin gets tucked into
the rubber band and worked into the first leaf.   For the final leaf, I lay
in a magic thread with the centre bobbin, and use it to pull the coloured
gimp thread back down the centre of leaf when I've finished using it.

Noelene in Cooma - where we've finally got a spell of real summer weather
(hot, dry, bushfires).  Cooler today, but another week of 30 degrees plus
forecasted next week.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nlafferty/