> What is that woman doing at 5 mins 25 sec into the video. It seems to me
> that she was about to hang in a new pair and is smoothing the thread, or
> covering it with something.

Hello David,
She is winding a bobbin. Here we use this system of winding, with the help
of the thread we are using, when we are going to add just one or a few
bobbins.... When we have to wind many bobbins, we use the bobbin winder. But
the way you see on the video is much quicker. I think Carolina has some
explanations on how to wind this way in her web site.
http://www.geocities.com/carolgallego

What is very peculiar is the spool on the right... where the skein is put.
On the video they say that it is made of cane.

Many greetings, from Antje, in Guadalajara, Spain

http://antje.gonzalez.iespana.es/