Try twisting the end then dipping the end in nail polish Noeline.  I
used to do it years ago when the crimped ends came off my boys school
shoe laces.  Worked every time.

Helen in OZ

So far no-one seems to have mentioned my favourite bobbin holder for my
spangled bobbins - shoe laces.   They have a little bit of metal or plastic
crimped to each end, making them easy to thread through the spangles.  The
bundles can be piled one on top of the other, bobbins can be pulled off
either end, etc., etc.

The only trouble these days, with the preponderance of sneakers, is finding
short shoe laces.   I've been forced to buy long sneaker laces, cut them in
half, and tie an overhand knot on the raw end.

Noelene in Cooma