Noelene,

When I was doing the Chantilly class (hello Ilske) where you have to carry
ground bobbins with the gimp so often, there were all sorts of ideas flying
around the classroom about the best way to bundle them together - I stuck to
my shoelaces, which kept the threads in order as well, and when bundled up,
were easy to handle as a single bobbin.   I was grateful I was using
spangled bobbins!

For this purpose I use either a large safety pin which will hold 2 pairs and a gimp, or if there are up to 6 or more pairs to be carried I use one of those Knitting stitch holders about 4" long. Many thanks for your detailed explanation of the shoelace technique. Think I'll stick with what I'm doing :)
David in Ballarat