On Jan 30, 2007, at 19:16, Jenny Brandis wrote:

In 1629 the Dutch East India company ship, the 'Batavia' was sunk off the coast of Western Australia. In 1994 the OIDFA published work by Rosemary Shepherd and E. Spee-Van Oost on the lace found on the wreck but I do not get that publication so am not sure what it says.

In 1994I wasn't a memeber of OIDFA, so I don't know what it says, either :)

It is over 800kb in size and as I can not remember if you are on broadband or not I have put it on my website at www.brandis.com.au/craft/lace/downloads/batavialace.pdf so that you can take a look at it.

Many thanks. I do have broadband but this way is better, because others who might be interested get to have a peek, also. The pamphlet is now printed out, for future reference. The trick will be to keep track of all the paperwork I've been printing out recently. At least I'm getting my money's worth out of my printer. And the printer is keeping healthy, what with all the exercise it's been getting :)

Would it fall into the right era for SCA - seeing as it was wrecked in 1629?

I think someone has already answered that question; while the official cut-off date for SCA is 1600, it is, afterall, a Society for *Creative* *Anachronism*, so the rules could be and are stretched here and there :) And it's not all that much of a stretch, either; even though the lace might have been made in 1629 or '28, the *pattern* could have been 30 years older :)

What I find fascinating abut Shepherd's repro of this piece is that it's much lighter than I would have expected it to be at that early date; there's only a single pair everywhere where I'd expect a plait! Since I'm certain she's inspected the original lace (fragments of) carefully and reproduced it faithfully, I must conclude that there had been a tremendous change in the space of 50 years or so. Not so much in the design itself, but in the execution methods.

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/