Luton Football club also have the straw boater hat, one of which was presented to him when he got married. He was a big supporter of the club at that time.
Sue T, Dorset UK

Noelene,

Could it be that the woman was a Straw Plaiter? Bedfordshire was a centre for Straw Plaiting as well as Lace Making. The Plaited straw I imagine would then be used to make straw hats and baskets that sort of thing. Maybe the person concerned did both things, plaited straw and made lace. Straw plaiting might have been more seasonal work, I don't know, but if it was then she may have made lace in between times.

I was in a museum at Wardown Park Luton Beds., a few years ago where they had a display of lace and bobbins but also had a display of straw plaiting and hat making.

Luton in Bedfordshire was a centre for hat making and Luton Town football team are known as the Hatters, as in mad hatters because the mercury used in making felt for hats caused people to go mad and eventually killed them.

Regards
Jenny DeAngelis
Spain.

<<While doing some Google searches recently, I came across the name of the
wife of a migrant to Australia in the early 1800's.  She and her husband,
and several children, migrated from Bedfordshire, and her occupation was
given as "Str--ais Plattes, (lacemaker)". The missing characters would be
caused by difficult in reading the hand writing.>>