To begin with, I don't pretend to be an expert on fans. However, some of my fans have been published in both British and American lace journals, and a couple of them were on display in the Baltimore Museum of Art and the Walters Art Museum (also in Baltimore); so I have gathered my courage to reply to your question. As to the length/width ratio of fansticks to fanleaf, you will find a very precise description along with diagrams in Christine Springett's ever-so-helpful little booklet "Designing and Mounting Lace Fans." This was published in 1985, but as it is really the authoritative word on the subject, and quite a wonderful little book, I should think it might still be had -- try Christine herself. (And for inspiration and a sense of how wide the world is for the beginning fanmaker, you ought to take Ann Collier's "Lace Fans" to bed with you). As to the number of inner sticks: most of my fans were made for me by John Brooker, a genius of a fanmaker. I have a couple of his fans that have an even number of sticks; but one of them has eleven sticks. And I have an old and lovely Spanish fan that has seventeen sticks. So apparently it doesn't matter. Good luck!

Aurelia

The final fan frame design details need to be determined and this is where Arachneans can help me. First, is there any ratio I should follow between the length of the fansticks and the width of the bobbin lace piece? I am concerned about the proportions between the wider bottom portion of the inner sticks and the more slender upper portion where the lace will be mounted. Second, should the number of
inner sticks be odd or even?

Sue in New Jersey, USA